701 Chartres Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
Built in 1795 to house the municipal government of the Spanish colony, the Cabildo was also the setting for transfer of the Louisiana Purchase. Part of the state museum, the landmark houses exhibits that chronicle Louisiana's past from European settlement through Reconstruction. Of particular interest are sections on the antebellum era and the Civil War. Artifacts of slavery, weaponry, uniforms, documents, and photographs are included. A rare prototype of the Confederate battle flag and the quill used to sign documents emancipating Louisiana slaves are also on view.