400 North Main Street
Abbeville, South Carolina 29620
This house was the site of the last "council of war" held by Confederate president Jefferson Davis on May 2, 1865. Davis, along with a few members of his cabinet and several Confederate generals, was on his way south after the fall of Richmond and hoped to rally support. Although Davis still clung to the hope of military success, he was persuaded by subordinates that further resistance was futile, and the war was over.