Fort Fair Lawn
Fair Lawn Plantation
In the summer of 1780, the British started to fortify the city of Charles Town to maintain this strategic position and began repurposing local buildings for military use. One such conversion was the Fair Lawn Plantation, also known as Fair Lawn Barony or Colleton Mansion, into a hospital and supply storeroom. In addition, the British built Fort Fair Lawn on the edge of the plantation’s property along the Cooper River.
Today, the site of the plantation has been preserved by the Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust with a conservation easement held by the South Carolina Battleground Trust with plans to add this site as an expansion with the adjoining Old Santee Canal State Park. Portions of the wall and moat of the fort can still be seen today.
Fort Fair Lawn: What's Nearby