27 Waterloo Place
Edinburgh, Scottland EH1 3BQ
Unveiled on August 21, 1893, the monument commemorates the lives of the Scotsman who fought in the American Civil War. The statue was commissioned by American Consul William Bruce and his wife after having met the widow of Sgt. Major John McEwan, who was buried in an unmarked grave. The plot of land was given by the Edinburgh Corporation and money was raised in the United States from prominent people with Scottish ties--such as Andrew Carnegie. The monument was sculpted by George E. Bissell and is the only monument marking the lives lost in the American Civil War outside of the United States. It depicts a standing figure of Abraham Lincoln, with a freed slave giving thanks at his feet.