Jefferson Barracks State Historic Site
Jefferson Barracks County Park
345 North Drive
St. Louis, MO 63125
In 1861, troops from Jefferson Barracks, led by Nathaniel Lyon, participated in the "Camp Jackson Affair," which saved the St. Louis Arsenal from prosecessionist state forces. In 1862, Jefferson Barracks was turned over to the Medical Department of the U.S. Army and became one of the largest and most important Federal hospitals in the country. Sick and wounded soldiers were brought to Jefferson Barracks by riverboat and railroad car. In 1864, Jefferson Barracks became a concentration point for the defense of St. Louis during "Price's Raid, " the last major Confederate invasion of Missouri. In 1866 a national cemetery was established at Jefferson Barracks.