Petersburg, WV 26847
Fort Mulligan, built in 1863, survives on the outskirts of the town of Petersburg, West Virginia on high ground commanding the local road network and the South Branch of the Potomac River. Some of the defensive works, remains of winter camp cabins and bombproofs are still visible. A walking trail, monument, rail fence signage and parking lot are the result of a partnership of the South Branch Valley Civil War Society and others.
Elkins, West Virginia | Established by Confederate forces in the summer of 1861 to control the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, this camp at 4,400 feet...
Cheat Summit Fort
Valley Head, West Virginia | General George B. McClellan ordered the construction of this fort in order to take the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike and...
Philippi Historic District
Philippi, West Virginia |The site is home to many historic sites, as well as a historical museum containing Civil War-era artifacts.