601 South President Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Built in 1849 as the terminus of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, President Street Station was an important junction for the Underground Railroad and the Civil War. It was the site of the first bloodshed of the war on April 19, 1861, when Southern sympathizers clashed with Massachusetts volunteers en route to Washington. The 1849 train station -- one of the oldest in the country -- houses a permanent collection that tells of Baltimore during the Civil War and also addresses Maryland's railroad history and the building's role in the Underground Railroad.