SHARE:

Port Gibson Battlefield

The A. K. Shaifer House was the site of the opening shots in the Battle of Port Gibson. The house was used by Maj. Gen. John A McClernand for his headquarters and later used as a hospital. Confederate forces were entrenched at nearby Magnolia Church. Part of the battle was fought on the Bruinsburg Road at Point Lookout. Restoration of the site is in progress and the majority of the battlefield is privately owned.

Port Gibson Battlefield: What's Nearby

Port Gibson, MS
Civil War  |  Battlefield
Port Gibson Battlefield
Port Gibson, MS
Civil War  |  Historic Site
Windsor Ruins
Natchez, MS
Civil War  |  Historic Site
Winter Quarters State Historic Site
St. Joseph, LA
Civil War  |  Historic Site
Grand Gulf Military Monument Park
Port Gibson, MS
Civil War  |  Battlefield
Milliken's Bend Battlefield
Ashly, LA
Civil War  |  Cemetery
Natchez National Cemetery
Natchez, MS
Civil War  |  Museum
Vicksburg Battlefield Museum
Vicksburg, MS
Civil War  |  Historic Site
The William Johnson House
Natchez, MS
Civil War  |  Historic Site
Melrose
Natchez, MS
Civil War  |  Museum
Old Court House Museum and Eva W. Davis Memorial
Vicksburg, MS

Preservation

The American Battlefield Trust and our members have saved more than 644 acres at Port Gibson Battlefield.

View All Saved Land

Related Battles

Port Gibson, MS | May 1, 1863
Result: Union Victory
Estimated Casualties
1,628
Union
861
Confed.
767