Youth Leadership Team 2021-2022 Application
Applications have CLOSED for the 2021-2022 YLT class
To apply to be part of the 2021-2022 cycle of the American Battlefield Trust YLT, please attach the three items described below to an email with the subject line [Applicant Name] YLT 2021–2022 to the Youth Leadership Team program coordinator, Connor Townsend, at email@example.com.
- An essay about why the mission of the American Battlefield Trust matters to you and a hypothetical battlefield project you could organize in your community. The essay should be no more than 500 words. (Note: You are not committed to the project you propose in your essay, but what you propose must be feasible in your community.)
- American Battlefield Trust Mission: The American Battlefield Trust seeks to preserve our nation’s hallowed battlegrounds and educate the public about what happened there and why it matters today. We permanently protect these battlefields for future generations as a lasting and tangible memorial to the brave soldiers who fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil War.
- A reference and letter of recommendation from a community sponsor. This can be a coach, teacher, community program leader, religious leader, etc… (Note: Your reference cannot be your guardian or an immediate family member.)
- A signed form from yourself and a guardian committing to the three in-person meetings. Download the commitment form here. Attendance at the three in-person meetings is a requirement for participation.
- Meeting #1: Training - July 7–9, 2021 (3 days with travel)
- Meeting #2: Lobby Day - February or March 2022 Final Dates TBD (3 days with travel)
- Meeting #3: Annual Conference - June 2–5, 2022 or June 9–12 2022 Final Date TBD
(4 days with travel)
Please attach the three documents listed above to an email with the subject line [Applicant Name] YLT 2021–2022 to the Youth Leadership Team Program Coordinator, Connor Townsend, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What can you expect after you submit your application?
- You will receive an email confirming that we have received your application with a link to a demographic survey.
- NOTE: You must complete the demographic survey in order to progress to the next step. If you do not complete the demographic survey you will not be contacted for a phone interview.
- You will be contacted within the application period, February – April 30, 2021, to arrange a phone interview or be informed that you have not been chosen to participate in this cycle of the YLT.
- The final 10 YLT candidates will be alerted to their acceptance no later than May 15, 2021.
How are applications evaluated?
We make final selections based on the following criteria:
- Completeness of applications submitted only by applicants.
- Quality of answer to the essay question with an emphasis on the project idea.
- Quality of the letter of recommendation.
- Geographic spread and diversity in the team. We are looking for a good representation of the United States. All other things being equal, we will attempt to fill the team with people and places not already represented.
The American Battlefield Trust Youth Leadership Team is supported by the Pipkin Charitable Foundation. Their generosity has changed the lives of 25 students to date.