The museum was established in 1996 to display the artifacts recovered from the excavation of the Confederate Warship CSS Pee Dee by the CSS PeeDee Research and Recovery Team led by Ted L. Gragg and Bob Butler. The museum’s displays also include firing condition firearms from the Civil War, swords, flags, uniforms and period items. Also on display are books, newspapers, personal effects and an exhibit on finances and money.
Cheraw, South Carolina | This 18th century river town became a place of refuge and a storehouse of valuables, including an official repository of Confederate gold. Contained within is a Confederate monument and cemetery.
Florence, South Carolina | This national cemetery was established in 1865 and is associated with the nearby Union prisoner of war camp, Florence Stockade, which held as many as 12,000 prisoners between September 1864 and February 1865.
Georgetown, South Carolina | Battery White, a Confederate earthwork constructed in 1862 under the direction of Gen. John C. Pemberton, commander of the Departments of South Carolina and Georgia, was built on Mayrant's Bluff to defend the entrance to Winyah Bay and the Sampit River.