The American Battlefield Trust's map of the battle of Gettysburg - East Cavalry Field
While infantry fighting resumed on the morning of July 3, 1863, Union cavalry under Gen. David McMurtrie Gregg were strongly picketing the intersection of the Hanover and Low Dutch roads--the direct route to the rear of the Union Center with two brigades, with a third, the Michigan cavalry of Gen. George Custer, close at hand. Artillery shells signaled the opening of Confederate attack followed by dismounted fighting on the farm of John Rummell. The Confederate horsemen under Gen. Jeb Stuart launched a series of mounted attacks, each of which was repulsed by a mounted charge from the Federals. After suffering heavy losses, Stuart withdrew his forces. The Union rear was secure.