Gaines’ Mill | Jun 27, 1862 | 4 - 4:30 pm
American Battlefield Trust's map of the Battle of Gaines’ Mill on June 27, 1862, from 4pm to 4:30pm
By 4:00 p.m., Maj. Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s brigades began arriving on the battlefield. The division of Maj. Gen. D. H. Hill filled in the Confederate left near the Old Cold Harbor Crossroads, while Jackson sent the division of Maj. Gen. Richard S. Ewell to the left of A. P. Hill’s division, who had already tried their hand at assaulting the Federal line along Boatswain's Creek and was losing momentum. The Confederate attacks between A. P. Hill and Jackson were not well-coordinated, and were repulsed with the help of Yankee artillery fire from the open farms of the Adams and Watt families to the south. As the Confederates massed for their assaults, the VI Corps division of Maj. Gen. Henry W. Slocum was sent across the Chickahominy to support the V Corps.
Learn More: Battle of Gaines’ Mill
Make a gift today to help protect 99 acres of land that comprise “The Intersection” of the Battles of Gaines’ Mill (1862) and Cold Harbor (1864) plus...