We have the remarkable opportunity to save 18 critical acres on Seminary Ridge, on the First Day's battlefield at Gettysburg! This is some of the most historically significant land at Gettysburg that is still in private hands. It is hallowed ground that witnessed the climactic scene of fierce, deadly fighting on July 1, 1863.
Here, in the late afternoon, Union troops made a final, desperate defense of Seminary Ridge and were met with a renewed attack from the Confederates.
The famed Union Iron Brigade, along with one New York and six Pennsylvania regiments, tried to hold back North and South Carolinians in Alfred Scales and Abner Perrin’s brigades. Four Union batteries that crowned the Ridge, including six fearsome Napoleon guns posted directly on a portion of the land we are trying to save, fired over the heads of the Union infantrymen with devastating effect on the advancing Confederates.
A captain in the Iron Brigade recalled later that infantrymen fired so fast their rifles became hot, and the smoke was so thick that it was as dark as night. Many wounded fell rapidly on both sides.
This land is some of the largest and most significant remaining unprotected acreage on Seminary Ridge. Remarkably, it is nearly unchanged from 1863. But we can’t guarantee its future as open space until we permanently protect this hallowed ground.
We are asking for your help to save this historic treasure so future generations can better understand the Battle of Gettysburg, and ultimately understand the American Civil War.
The price for this land is $3.5 million. Due to its location, we are unable to apply for federal matching grants. We have to go this one alone. It is a big task, but if we have your help, we can preserve this land together and make history.
Please help save Seminary Ridge today.
Donors who commit $50 or more to this effort will receive a first-ever Premium Battle Map. Donors who commit $100 or more will also appear on our new digital Roll Call of Honor display. Those who contribute $200 or more will also have their names added to a physical donor-recognition sign at the nearby Lee’s Headquarters donor recognition site, just across the Chambersburg Pike from this land.