Teacher Institute Travel Scholarship Applications
For the 2023 National Teacher Institute
Our annual National Teacher Institute Travel Scholarship program is designed to help offset travel costs to and from the National Teacher Institute. Travel scholarships provide up to $600 in travel assistance. Recipients will be reimbursed for the following travel expenses: gas, turnpike tolls, cab fare/Uber rides, airplane or train tickets, economy class rental cars, and hotel stays in the Baltimore area. These items will only be reimbursed for Teacher Institute-related travel within a reasonable timeframe of the beginning and end of the Teacher Institute.
Travel scholarships do not cover first-class accommodations, meals, room service, hotel incidentals, WiFi fees, airport parking fees, souvenirs, admission to museums or other entertainment attractions. The American Battlefield Trust reserves the right to revoke any scholarship for what is determined to be abusive behavior or inappropriate expenses.
Scholarship recipients must:
- Be one of the following—an active and full-time K-12 educator, full-time K-12 administrator, full-time museum professional, full-time librarian, full-time college administrator, full-time or adjunct college professor.
- Make their own travel arrangements.
- Register for the Teacher Institute, and place a $100 refundable deposit on or before April 30, 2023.
- Pay for their travel costs and submit a reimbursement form, with receipts, by August 4, 2023.
- Attend all Teacher Institute sessions on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the event.
- Sign-in and sign-out of each session the recipient attends.
- Complete a post-Teacher Institute exit survey.
- Those who were awarded a travel scholarship in 2020, 2021, or 2022 and canceled your scholarship or no called-no showed at the event are not eligible for travel scholarship funding.
What do you look for in our scholarship applications?
Scholarships are NOT awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. We review each application carefully and look at a variety of criteria, including but not limited:
- The number of scholarships/services received from the American Battlefield Trust in the past.
- Distance traveled to the event.
- Quality of answers.
- The honesty of the applicant's answers.
- Time and effort put into the applicant's answers.
- Financial need demonstrated.
- The certitude of travel plans.
- The number of times the applicant has canceled their scholarship or Teacher Institute registration in the past.
- The benefit to the educator's professional development.
- The benefit to the educator's students.
- Exposure of American Battlefield Trust educational materials and funding to new recipients and audiences.
- Applicant's attitude & demeanor.
We will accept scholarship applications from January 16, 2023, to March 1, 2023. All scholarship applicants will be notified of their status on or before March 17, 2023.
Those awarded a scholarship in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, or 2022 and canceled their scholarship are not eligible for a travel scholarship.
We do strongly recommend that scholarship recipients make reservations to stay at the host hotel—The Sheraton Inner Harbor.
Do you have questions about the venue, scholarships, travel, or more? Please check out our FAQ page for more information.