Artillery Interpretive Program at Lee's Headquarters
Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg
401 Buford Avenue
Gettysburg, PA 17325
During the Battle of Gettysburg, this small stone house — home of 69-year-old widow Mary Thompson — served as the headquarters of Gen. Robert E. Lee. The property surrounding the house played a pivotal role in the severe fighting on July 1, 1863 and was a key position in the Confederate line for the rest of the engagement.
Today, the landscape and building have been preserved and restored to its wartime appearance by the American Battlefield Trust.
A non-firing historic artillery interpretive program conducted by members of the W.S. Hancock Society will take place at 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm both days. The program will include description of the gun, how to load and fire, and artillery use in general during the war.
The Mary Thompson house will NOT be open during this time, but please enjoy the self-guided interpretive trail, with five signs explaining the dramatic events at the headquarters from July 1-3, 1863, is open daily from dawn to dusk.
To learn more about the preservation story and see the full schedule of open houses, visit www.battlefields.org/LeesHQ »